Sports & Games Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Sports Current Affairs 2019 for National and International sports and tournaments, awards, trophies and cups related to cricket, football, tennis and other sports for UPSC, SSC, States, Civil services and other competitive examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian men’s football team captain Sunil Chhetri and women’s footballer Ashalata Devi have bagged top honours at All India Football Federation (AIFF) 2018-19 awards. Chhetri was named as Men’s footballer of the year, while Ashalata Devi won the Women’s footballer of the year title.
Sunil Chhetri: He is Indian captain and skipper, who scored a brace in India’s loss to Tajikistan in opening match of Intercontinental Cup 2019. He won AIFF award for 3rd consecutive year and for a record-extending 6th time (2007, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2017). With 70 goals for India, he is also the 2nd-highest active international scorer only behind Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal. He currently plays for Bengaluru FC in Indian Super League (ISL).
Other Awardees are as follows:
AIFF Emerging Men’s Footballer of Year 2018-19: Sahal Abdul Samad (from Kerala)
AIFF Emerging Women’s Footballer of Year 2018-19: Dangmei Grace (from Manipur)
AIFF Award for Best Referee: R Venkatesh (from Tamil Nadu)
AIFF Award for the Best Assistant Referee: Joseph Tony (from Karnatak)a
Best Grassroots Development Programme: Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) Football Association
About AIFF Awards
AIFF Player of Year has been awarded by All India Football Federation since 1992.
It is an annual association football award presented to best footballer in India.
AIFF is governing body of football association in India sicne its inception in 1937. It was one of founding members of Asian Football Confederation, which is overseer of football in Asia.
Tags: AIFF Awards • AIFF Emerging Men’s Footballer of Year • AIFF Player of Year • Ashalata Devi • Asian Football Confederation
Dutee Chand, the Indian sprinter won gold medal in women’s 100m in World Universiade, 30th Summer University Games held in Naples, Italy. With this win she became 1st Indian woman to do so.
The 23-year-old Indian athlete clocked 11.32 seconds to win gold as she led the race from start to finish.
She became 1st Indian woman track and field athlete to clinch a gold medal in World Universiade after winning this 100m dash event held in Napoli, Italy.
Del Ponte (11.33 seconds) of Switzerland won silver
Lisa KwaYie (11.39 seconds) of Germany won bronze
About Dutee Chand
- She is a student at Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, a deemed university in Bhubaneswar in Odisha. Her 100m national record stands at 11.24 seconds.
- She became the first Indian to win a 100m gold in a global event.
- She has now become only 2nd Indian sprinter to win gold in a global event after Hima Das. Das won top spot in 400m in World Junior Athletics Championships in 2018.
- She won silver each in 100m and 200m in 2018 Asian Games.
- She is also only 2nd Indian track and field athlete to win gold in World Universiade. Earlier, Inderjeet Singh had won top spot in men’s shot put event in 2015 edition.
- She is yet to qualify for World Championships to be held in Doha in September-October 2019.
- She is also one of few athletes in world to openly admit being in a same-sex relationship in May 2019.