Hyderabad best Indian city in living standards: Mercer
According to Mercer’s Quality of Living index rankings 2017, for the third consecutive time, Hyderabad (Telangana) has emerged as the best Indian city in terms of quality of living.
Globally, Vienna (Austria) for the fourth time in a row has emerged as world’s best city for overall quality of living for the eighth year running.
- In this edition of rankings, 8 European cities are in the top ten list: Vienna (1), Zurich (2) Munich (4), Dusseldorf (6), Frankfurt (7), Geneva (8), Copenhagen (9) and Basel (10).
- The only non-European cities in the top ten are Auckland (3) and Vancouver (5). The highest ranking cities in Asia and Latin America are Singapore (25) and Montevideo (79), respectively.
- Both Hyderabad and Pune ranked higher 145 and 146, respectively than the country’s traditional business centres Mumbai and New Delhi, which were ranked at 154 and 161, respectively.
- In terms of city infrastructure rankings, Singapore has topped the list followed by Frankfurt and Munich both in 2nd place. Baghdad (230) and Port au Prince (231) ranked at the bottom for city infrastructure.
- Amongst Indian cities, Mumbai is ranked the highest at 141, followed by Kolkata (149) and Pune (151) in city infrastructure rankings. Bangalore was rated the lowest (177) by the report.
Mercer, head-quartered in New York, is a global human resources consulting firm. Its survey, covering over 230 cities across the globe, is conducted annually to enable MNCs and other employers compensate its employees fairly, while sending them on international assignments. Its city infrastructure ranking that assesses each city’s supply of drinking water, electricity, public transportation and telephone and mail services as well as traffic congestion and the range of international flights available from local airports.
Categories: Reports & Indices