Asia Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
African Nation, Malawi will be undertaking large scale pilot tests for the world’s most advanced experimental malaria vaccine in a bid to prevent the disease that kills hundreds of thousands across Africa and Asia every year.
Vaccine for Malaria
- Vaccine for Malaria under the trade name Mosquirix has been developed by British pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline in partnership with the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative.
- Four successive doses of the vaccines must be administered on a strict timetable for it to work.
- Even though the potential vaccine does not give full protection against the mosquito-borne disease, it is the furthest along in development and so far the most effective.
- The pilot tests aim to immunize around 120,000 children aged 2 and below to assess the effectiveness of the pilot vaccine and whether the delivery process is feasible.
Malaria which spreads to people through the bites of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes has killed 435,000 people in 2017 alone and the majority of them were children under 5 in Africa.
Tags: Africa • Asia • female Anopheles • GlaxoSmithKline • Malaria Vaccine
Asian Tea Alliance, a union of five tea-growing and consuming countries was launched in Guizhou in China. The members of the alliance are the Indian Tea Association, China Tea Marketing Association, Indonesian Tea Marketing Association, Sri Lanka Tea Board and Japan Tea Association.
Objectives of the Alliance
- To work towards enhancing tea trade, cultural exchanges, technology exchanges as well as globally promoting tea.
- To work towards enhancing global consumption of tea, while creating a sustainability agenda for the future of Asian tea.
Earlier, Indian Tea Association and China Tea Marketing Association had signed an MoU to promote green and black tea consumption in major tea markets of Europe, the US, Russia and West Asia, besides India and China.