Department of Electronics and Information Technology Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Govt. launched the National Cloud under ‘MeghRaj’ initiative. National Information Centre (NIC) is providing Cloud services under the umbrella of ‘MeghRaj’.
In order to utilize and harness the benefits of Cloud Computing, the Central Government has embarked upon an ambitious initiative – ‘GI Cloud’ which has been named as ‘MeghRaj’.
- Focus: To accelerate delivery of e-services in the country while optimizing ICT spending of the Government. This will ensure optimum utilization of the infrastructure and speed up the development and deployment of eGov applications.
- Architectural vision of GI Cloud: As per the set of common protocols, guidelines and standards issued by the Government of India, GI cloud will cover a set of discrete cloud computing environments spread across multiple locations, built on existing or new (augmented) infrastructure.
- Benefit of GI Cloud: Helpful for the departments to procure ICT services on demand in the OPEX model rather than investing upfront on the CAPEX.
- Characteristics of National Cloud: Self service portal, Multiple Cloud solutions, Secured VPN access and Multi location Cloud.
- Existing Cloud services: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS) and Storage as a Service (STaaS).
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is the delivery of computing and storage capacity. In cloud computing, end users are not required to buy software or Devices as they are provided by service providers on a rental basis. It’s an Internet based technology which enables its user to share technological resources, software and digital information from anywhere using a browser.
Note: The Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY) prepared the two Policy reports viz., ‘GI Cloud Strategic Direction Paper’ and ‘GI Cloud Adoption and Implementation Roadmap’.