Estonia Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
StartupBlink has ranked 100 countries for startup environment of countries globally. The rankings were based on the data from over 61,000 startups, more than 500 accelerators, and over 1,400 coworking spaces registered on its platform along with data gathered from its global partners including Crunchbase, SimilarWeb etc.
The rankings were based on the impact startups have been able to make in the country, how many startups and support organisations are there such as accelerators, coworking spaces, startup events along with technology infrastructure, red tape, bureaucracy, etc.
Findings of the Report
- The US, the UK, Canada, Israel, and Australia have been ranked in top5 in the rankings.
- India was ranked 17th in the rankings and has climbed 20 spots (rank 37) from the previous ranking.
- China was ranked 27th.
- Estonia (13), Ireland (14), and Germany (9) were ranked ahead of India for their startup ecosystems.
- The challenge before India is to improve the overall quality of startups and increase the number of unicorns than currently exist.
In the ranking of cities, Bengaluru stood at 11, New Delhi at 18 and Mumbai at 29. San Francisco Bay, New York, London, Los Angeles, and Boston topped the ranking among the cities.
Tags: Australia • Bengaluru • Boston • Canada • China
The Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index make the following observations:
- Denmark is the world least corrupt country scoring 88 out of 100 points. Denmark is followed by New Zealand and Finland.
- Somalia has been ranked last with a score of 10 behind South Sudan and Syria.
- More than two-thirds of evaluated countries scored below 50 points, while the average score remained at last year’s level of only 43 points.
- Estonia, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal and Guyana demonstrated most improvements since 2012.
- The 2018 rankings showed an increase in the perceived corruption in Australia, Chile and Malta.
- For the first time since the United States dropped out of the top 20 and it was ranked at 22nd rank.
- Along with Brazil, US was placed in the watch list by Transparency International.
Top and Bottom Countries
Region Wise Performance
The report highlights a connection between healthy democracies and successfully fighting corruption in the public sector and notes that corruption is much more likely to flourish where democratic foundations are weak.