GAIL Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
State-run energy major GAIL (India) Limited has launched geo-portal called ‘Bhuvan-GAIL Portal’ system for utilising space technology for its pipeline monitoring to address pipeline safety concerns.
The project has been developed in collaboration with National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), a unit of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- The new system integrated with the Bhuvan-GAIL portal would begin live satellite monitoring of its pipeline’s Right of Use (RoU) from January 2016.
- It can send alerts to relevant executives through SMS and e-mail regarding the changes noted along the RoU as well as the arrival of any new satellite photos.
- The system has satellite-sensing technology, high-resolution satellites object-oriented image analysis and other advance space technology for pipeline monitoring applications.
- GAIL also has developed an innovative mobile application from which pictures taken from any mobile phone can be uploaded instantly on the portal.
- GAIL’s R&D pilot project in this regard was implemented on the 610-km-long Dahej-Vijaipur pipeline.
Apart from this system GAIL is also seeking alternative methods such as advanced Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) which can be integrated with this system. Presently, GAIL is monthly monitoring its more than 13,000 km of pipeline network via Helicopter surveys.