India-UN Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Minister of Environment and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar flagged off the electric vehicles procured by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in New Delhi.
- The minister announced that all the 5 lakh government vehicles are to be converted into electric vehicles.
- The process is to be carried out in phased manner
- The purpose of the step is to reduce the dependence of the country on Petrol and Diesel
- This will save 832 million litres of petrol and diesel and will reduce 2.23 million tons of carbon-dioxide being released.
- This will aid in achieving India’s commitment towards reducing GHG (Green House Gas) emission by 33% to 35% by 2030 as compared to 2005
- India is home to 14 out of 20 most polluted cities in the world. Electric Vehicles help improve the scenario by reducing local concentrations of pollutants in cities.
Requirements to achieve EV plan
According to the NITI Aayog, the following steps will help implementing EV based plans successfully
- Providing Charging infrastructure
- Increasing the efficiency of vehicles before converting all the vehicles to electric. This can be achieved by incentivising developments to increase vehicle efficiency.
Tags: air pollution • Electric Vehicle • Green House Gas Emissions • India-UN • NDCs
On October 30, 2019, the Chile Government cancelled the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit and the COP25 conference due to the ongoing protests in the country. The country’s president in a press meet said that the ongoing violent protests have plagued the country for weeks and it is currently not in a situation to hold international conferences.
While the United Nations is searching alternatives to conduct the conferences, Spain has offered to host COP25. This is the second time a country is cancelling to host COP25. In November, 2018, Brazil withdrew from hosting the COP25 citing economic reasons
The Conference of Parties is the supreme body of the UNFCCC-United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. The first COP was held in Berlin, Germany in 1995. The Climate change decisions and solutions of the United Nations revolved around the COP agreements. the last COP 24 was held at Katowice, Poland in May 2019.
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation is an inter-governmental forum for 21 Pacific rim countries. These countries account for nearly 50% of the world’s trade and account to 57% of world GDP. It was established in 1989. India is an observer of APEC since 2011 and has applied for its membership.