Indira Gandhi International Airport Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Air India, the flag carrier airline of India has become the first airline in the world to use a Taxibot on an A-320 aircraft with passengers on board. Ashwani Lohani, Chairman and MD of Air India flagged off the flight AI665 (Delhi – to Mumbai) and it was carried to runway using Taxibot at Terminal 3 of Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI), New Delhi.
Significance: It is the first such usage on any Airbus aircraft worldwide and is a giant step forward towards a cleaner environment. It is expected to bring down the consumption of fuel by 85% and reduce engine wear and tear as the ignition will be turned on only when the aircraft reaches runway. Taxibots will also help in decongesting boarding gates and the apron area by providing efficient pushbacks.
What is Taxibot?
It is a robot-used aircraft tractor for taxiing an aircraft from parking bay to runway and vice-versa. Since taxibot is a pilot controlled semi-robotic towbar-less aircraft tractor which is used as alternate taxiing equipment, therefore it is possible to tow an aircraft from parking bay to runway with its engines switched off.
Taxibots for now will be used for departing flights only and will be significantly used during taxiing of an aircraft.
Tags: A-320 aircraft • Air India • Airbus • Indira Gandhi International Airport • Taxibot
Skytrax World Airport Awards which lists the Best 100 Airports of the World was released by the UK-based Skytrax, a consultancy firm which runs an airline and airport review and ranking site. The accolade was awarded at the Passenger Terminal Expo 2019 in London.
Best Airports of World
- Singapore’s Changi Airport has been crowned the world’s best aviation hub for the seventh time in a row. Singapore Changi Airport is well known for its rooftop swimming pool, two 24-hour movie theatres and shopping spots.
- Tokyo International Airport (Haneda), up one place from 2018 stood at the second place. The airport hub also won accolade as World’s Best Domestic Airport and World’s Cleanest Airport.
- Incheon International Airport, down one place from its second-place spot in 2018 is the other entrant at number three. Incheon International Airport also won the accolade for World’s Best Transit Airport.
Indian Airports in the List
- Indira Gandhi International Airport of New Delhi was eight points up this year after featuring at the 66th spot in 2018 and stood at rank 59.
- Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport stood at 64, down one rank from the previous year.
- Rajiv Gandhi Hyderabad International Airport stood at 66, up 10 ranks.
- Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport at 69, down five ranks.
The Skytrax World Airport Awards are based on votes of customers in a global airport customer satisfaction survey.