Malaysia Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Great Britain beats India with 2-1 in final to win men’s Sultan of Johor Cup hockey tournament held at Johor Bahru in Malaysia. The Indian junior men’s hockey team suffered defeat as Great Britain score 20 seconds before full-time. Great Britain was this years’ defending country after they were crowned champions in 2018.
In their road to final, Great Britain had scored just 8 goals in comparison to India’s 23 but the 2018 title-holders have conceded just 5, while India conceded as many as a 12 goals in 5 matches.
Top scorer(s)– India Shilanand Lakra (5 goals). With five goals to his name, India’s Shilanand Lakra has been one of the standout performers and remained the highest scorer of tournament.
Best player- Japan Kosei Kawabe
About Sultan of Johor Cup
It is an international men’s under–21 field hockey tournament. It started in 2011 and this year is the ninth edition of Sultan of Johor Cup. So far, five teams have emerged victorious.
Great Britain is the most successful team now having won the tournament thrice (2015, 2018 2019), followed India (2013 and 2014) and Australia who have all won the tournament twice.
In 2019 edition, 6 teams competed in the tournament (including the host nation), namely- India, Australia, Great Britain, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand.
Tags: Great Britain • India • Johor Bahru • Malaysia • Shilanand Lakra
India’s only orangutan named Binny died at the age of 41 in Nandankanan Zoological Park in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- About: The Nandankanan Zoological Park (NZP) has lost one of its beloved members the 41-year-old orangutan ‘Bini’, an extant species of great apes.
- Background: The lone female orangutan Binny, was brought to Nandankanan Zoo from Pune’s Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park on 20 November 2003, when she was 25 years old. Since her arrival she has been alone in her zoo enclosure and zoo officials failed to arrange a male partner for her.
- Reason: According to NZP, ‘Binny’ died due to age-related complications. He also suffered from respiratory tract infection. Tissue samples were collected and postmortem is scheduled, for further investigation to correlate exact cause of death.
- Care: She was taken out of the enclosure a year ago. The orangutan was under treatment for a year by experts from College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, OUAT. Even the orangutan’s experts from United Kingdom (UK) and Singapore were also giving constant advice.
- The word “orangutan” actually means “person of forest”.
- They are one of the world’s three extant species of great apes.
- Orangutans are native to Indonesia and Malaysia and are currently found only in rain forests of Borneo and Sumatra.
- They are considered to be among most intelligent primates. An orangutan can live up to 45 years in the wild and even more in zoos.
- They have been extensively studied by researchers for their learning abilities.
- They use a variety of sophisticated tools and even construct elaborate sleeping nests from branches and foliage.