Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President Ram Nath Kovind will be conferring ‘Vayoshreshtha Samman-2019’ on Eminent Senior Citizens & Institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of elderly persons on 3 October 2019. The awards will be conferred at a function organized by Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi and Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot will preside over the function.
About Vayoshreshtha Samman
It is a scheme of awards which was instituted by Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (D/o Social Justice & Empowerment) and gradually upgraded to status of National Awards. These awards are presented as part of celebration of International Day of Older Persons (IDOP) on 1st October. The day is celebrated every year on 1st October since the year 2005.
Objective: The Awards are intended-
- To show case Government’s concern for senior citizens and its commitment towards them with the aim of strengthening their legitimate place in society.
- To provide an opportunity to younger generation to understand contribution of elderly in building of society and nation.
It is awarded to–
- Institutions which are involved in providing distinguished service for the cause of elderly persons (especially indigent senior citizens)
- Eminent senior citizens in recognition of their service and achievements
- Individuals from any part of the country
The recipients are drawn from diverse fields and nominations are invited from Governmental and Non-Governmental Agencies.
Tags: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment • National Awards • Ram Nath Kovind • Thaawarchand Gehlot • Vayoshreshtha Samman
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has invited nomination for Vayoshreshtha Samman 2019 which is the National Awards for Senior Citizens for both Individuals and Institutions categories. The nominations should be sent by 31st May 2019.
About Vayoshrestha Sammans
- Background: The series of National Award-Vayoshreshtha Samman awards were instituted by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in 2005. In 2013 these were elevated to the level of national awards.
- It is an annual award which is conferred in thirteen categories.
- Nominees: The various Ministries and Departments of Government of India, their autonomous organistions, State Government, Union Territory’s (UT) Administration all can nominate suitable individuals and institutions for the said National Awards.
- Awardees: These are conferred to eminent senior citizens and Institutions who are involved in providing distinguished services for the cause of elderly persons.
- Awarded on: In general these are conferred by the President of India on 1st October each year on the occasion of International Day of Older Persons (IDOP).