Ministry of Urban Development Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Government has unveiled a Model Building Bye-Laws, 2016 for granting permission for construction of buildings.
It was released by the Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi. It seeks to provide an online single window framework for approval process.
- Model Building Bye-Laws, 2016 intends to improve ease of doing business regarding issuance of construction permits.
- The time limit for all kinds of single window approvals is 30 days and if it is not done by the concerned agencies within this time-frame then it will be deemed as approved.
- Different set of environmental conditions are provided for each category of building ranging from 5000 square meters to 1.5 lakh square meters.
- Urban local bodies (ULBs) will have the power the monitor the environmental concerns in their region.
- The provision of rain water harvesting for various types of buildings has been mandatory.
The last time the Model Building Bye-Laws were issued in 2004. Since then the situation has changed drastically compelling the Centre to come up with new Bye-Laws.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Infrastructure • Ministry of Urban Development • National
The Union Ministry of Urban Development has shortlisted 20 cities from 11 States and Delhi Union Territory in the list of first batch of Smart Cities Mission.
These shortlisted cities were selected from Smart City Challenge competition in which 97 cities and towns had participated from 23 States and UTs.
State wise Cities: Among the shortlisted 20 Smart cities, 3 are from Madhya Pradesh, 2 each are from Maharashtra, Rajasthan Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh and 1 each from Odisha, Kerala, Delhi (UT), Assam and Punjab.
20 shortlisted smart cities (Rank wise) are
- Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- Pune, Maharashtra.
- Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- Surat, Gujarat.
- Kochi, Kerala.
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Solapur, Maharashtra.
- Davangere, Karnataka.
- Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- New Delhi Municipal Corporation.
- Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh.
- Belagavi, Karnataka.
- Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- Guwahati, Assam.
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Ludhiana, Punjab.
- Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
What is Smart City?
- A smart city is highly advanced urban region in terms of overall infrastructure, communications, sustainable real estate and market viability.
- In this city information technology (IT) is the principal infrastructure and the basis for providing essential services to residents.
- There are many technological platforms involved the principal infrastructure of the smart cities and it is not limited to automated sensor networks and data centres.