Philippines Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian journalist Ravish Kumar (44) of NDTV news channel was chosen for 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award. He has been given this prestigious award in recognition for harnessing journalism to give voice to voiceless. He is among 5 individuals who were chosen for this years’ award. The award will be presented to all recipients at a ceremony in Manila (Capital of Philippine) on 9 September 2019.
About Ravish Kumar
He is one of India’s most influential TV journalists. He is also NDTV India’s senior executive editor. His news show ‘Prime Time’ that is broadcasted on NDTV deals with real-life, under-reported problems of ordinary people.
He was chosen for Ramon Magsaysay Award, Asia’s premier prize in recognition of his unfaltering commitment to a professional, ethical journalism of highest standards, his moral courage in standing up for truth, integrity, and independence as well as for his principled belief that it is in giving voice to voiceless, in speaking truth bravely yet soberly to power, that journalism fulfills its noblest aims to advance democracy.
About Ramon Magsaysay Award
- It is Asia’s premier prize and highest honour. It is often regarded as region’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
- It was established in 1957 by trustees of New York City (NYC) based Rockefeller Brothers Fund and Philippine government.
- It celebrates the memory and leadership example of the third Philippine president Ramon Magsaysay after whom the award is named
- It is awarded annually to individuals or organizations from Asia region for their altruistic, selfless and philanthropic service.
- It carries Medallion bearing likeness of the late President Ramon Magsaysay, cash prize and a certificate.
- In 2018, it was awarded to two Indians Bharat Vatwani and Sonam Wangchuk.
Tags: Angkhana Neelapajit • awards • India • Kim Jong-Ki • Ko Swe Win
Indian Women’s Rugby team claimed their 1st ever international women’s 15s victory after beating Singapore in the Asian Women Rugby Championship Division 1 in Manila, Philippines.
Sumitra Nayak kicked a penalty in the dying minutes to claim a narrow victory for India against Singapore with a 21-19 win for girls in blue.
This historic victory means India finished 3rd in tournament, therefore claiming a bronze medal.
The Championship Division 1 will double up as part of the qualification process for the Rugby World Cup 2021.
Rugby’s Future in India: India has a big following for Rugby game. India, China and USA together constitute 33% of 800 million followers of game globally. As per Nasser Hussain, former India captain and General Manager, Indian Rugby Union, the game is spread across 24 States with India having about 80,000 registered rugby players.
Asia Rugby Women’s Championship
In 2006 the 1st recorded Asian rugby championship for female 15-a-side teams was founded. Prior to that at least since 2000 there had been women’s 7-a-side tournaments in Asia.
It is organised by Asian Rugby Football Union (ARFU).
China were the hosts of and winners of the 1st tournament that took place in 2006.