Pubic Health Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Indian Immunologicals Limited (IIL) has launched CYSVAX, world’s first vaccine to fight against Taenia solium Tapeworms in pigs.
The vaccine has significant potential benefit to reduce the incidence of epilepsy in humans.
- The CYSVAX is a recombinant porcine (Pigs) Cysticercosis Vaccine.
- The vaccine has potential to break the Cysticercosis disease parasite’s life-cycle in pigs which is considered to be one of the important reasons for epilepsy in humans.
What is Cysticercosis?
- Cysticercosis is a parasitic disease caused by pork tapeworm named Taenia solium. WHO has designated it as one of 17 Neglected tropical diseases worldwide.
- It is a zoonotic parasite disease involving pigs as intermediate hosts because it is caused by ingesting the eggs of the tapeworm Taenia solium.
- Humans are usually infected by the accidental consumption of eggs present in the under-cooked pork, vegetables and greens that have been improperly washed.
- In humans it develops into cysts in central nervous system and cause Neuro-cysticercosis, considered as one of the important reasons for epilepsy in humans.
What are reasons for the spread of disease?
The primary breeding grounds for tapeworms Taenia solium are open defecation and unhygienic pig rearing. Cases of Cysticercosis in India have been reported in North Uttar Pradesh and North-Eastern states.
About Indian Immunologicals Limited (IIL)
IIL is Hyderabad-based subsidiary of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB). It is a market leader in veterinary biologicals and is also big player in animal and human healthcare sector in country.