Railways Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat is a cleanliness survey that is carried out by QCI – Quality Council of India. The council tool 720 Non – Suburban stations and Suburban Stations for the survey.
Findings of the survey
- Jaipur was ranked first with a cleanliness score of 931.75 out of 1000
- Jodhpur was ranked second with a score of 927.19
- The other top cleanest cities include Durgapura, Jammu Tawi, Gandhinagar, Suratgarh, Vijayawada, Udaipur, Ajmer and Haridwar.
- Southern Railways dropped five places. IT slipped to 7th position from 12th postion in 2018.
- The North Western Railway zone was awarded the cleanest railway zone of 2019
During the survey the inspectors inspected the station premises for presence of different forms of waste such as stain, stagnant water, litter and excreta. They also observed the frequency of cleaning activities in the customer interface areas. The condition of uniform, equipment, protection gear of the cleaning staff were also considered in ranking the stations.
Tags: Quality Council of India • Railways • Swachh Bharat • Swachh Rail-Swachh Bharat • Swachh Survekshan
The Ministry of Railways has initiated several steps to promote heritage conservation. The conservation measures undertaken by railways include a revival of Steam Locomotives, up-keeping Hill Railways, a special delegation of powers to Divisions for promoting Hill and Steam tourism, strengthening Railway museums, conservation of built heritage, digitization of Railway Heritage and bringing it online for universal access etc.
Measures undertaken for Heritage conservation
The measures undertaken for heritage conservation are:
- Zonal Railways/Production Units are organising drives from time to time for identification and preservation of Railway heritage assets like buildings, bridges, rolling stocks, documents, photographs, artefacts, equipment, clocks, benches etc, which currently lying unnoticed or overlooked at different locations.
- A specific provision was made by the Ministry of Railways in the budget outlay for 2018-19 for the revival of steam locomotives including restoration and procurement of spares.
- A weekly regular timetabled train on steam traction has been made operational between Garhi Harsaru and Farukhnagar.
- Maintenance of five hill railways of India [Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR), Nilgiri Mountain Railway (NMR), Kalka Shimla Railway (KSR), Matheran Light Railway(MLR) and Kangra Valley Railway (KVR)] are undertaken as per codal provision of Indian Railways and UNESCO Guidelines.
- Special powers have been delegated to Divisional Railway Managers of five hill railways for promoting tourism in these five hill railways.
Ministry of Railways had also organised a day-long event of heritage officers of Zonal Railways and Production Units to give complete attention to the century-old rich heritage of Indian Railways and to train them in heritage conservation approaches.