Seoul Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh delivered a keynote address at ‘Seoul Defence Dialogue 2019’ during his visit to South Korea. The theme of Defence Dialogue was- ‘Building Peace Together: Challenges and Vision’. Defence Minister is on a 3-day visit to Seoul.
Key Highlights of Address
During the address Defence Minister highlighted that among the numerous security challenges that world is facing, gravest is that of terrorism as no country in world is safe from terrorism.
He called for collective international action to check perpetrators of terrorism. He also advocated strong measures against those who support and finance terrorism and provide sanctuary to terrorists.
India has been actively pursuing counter terrorism cooperation bilaterally, regionally and globally through United Nations and other fora.
With world politics today being in a state of flux, it has aggravated global and regional challenges to international peace and security. Also, new and emerging technologies have impacted regional and global security environment.
India’s neighboring region is confronted with numerous traditional and non-traditional security threats such as transnational crimes, terrorism, conflicts, maritime threats, proliferation as well as the challenges of sustainable development.
India’s ‘neighbourhood first policy’: As India’s foreign policy has always prioritized on good relations with its neighbours, therefore India also supports for peace and stability in Korean Peninsula and its denuclearisation through dialogue and diplomacy.
India has also strengthened co-operative engagements in Indo-Pacific region on basis of principle of SAGAR– Security and Growth for All in the Region, a principle that remains cornerstone of India’s outlook for Indo-Pacific region.
About Seoul Defense Dialogue 2019
It was held in Seoul, capital of South Korea.
Defense officials and experts from around 50 countries and 5 international organizations attended the Dialogue, however, U.S. representative did not attend.
Background: Seoul Defense Dialogue was launched in 2012 as a vice ministerial level multilateral security consultation regime for talks on Asia-Pacific cooperation and peace on Korean Peninsula.
Tags: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh • eoul Defense Dialogue 2019 • India-South Korea • Seoul • Terrorism
The Economist Intelligence Unit has released the report of the Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2019.
Findings of the Survey
- For the first time in its 30-year history, three cities have been accorded the title of the world’s most expensive city in the Worldwide Cost of Living Survey from The Economist Intelligence Unit.
- Singapore which top’s of the rankings for the sixth consecutive year is joined there by Hong Kong and Paris.
- Zurich in Switzerland stood at the fourth position followed by Japan’s Osaka which shared fifth place with Geneva, also in Switzerland.
- Seoul (South Korea), Copenhagen (Denmark) and New York (US) were jointly placed at the seventh spot.
- Los Angeles (US) along with Israel’s Tel Aviv was named the 10th most expensive city in the world.
- The cost of living in Chinese cities remains relatively stable, while Southeast Asian destinations were moving up the ranks.
- Weaker local currencies have pushed all five Australian and two New Zealand cities surveyed down in the ranking.
- While parts of Asia remain the most expensive places on Earth, Asian Cities also makes several appearances at the bottom of the list.
- World’s cheapest cities include Caracas (Venezuela), Damascus (Syria), Tashkent (Uzbekistan), Almaty (Kazakhstan), Karachi (Pakistan), Lagos (Nigeria), Buenos Aires (Argentina) as well as the three Indian cities of Bengaluru, Chennai and Delhi.
The Survey compares more than 400 individual prices across 160 products and services in cities around the world by keeping New York as the benchmark city.