World Consumer Rights Day 2019
March 15 every year is celebrated as World Consumer Rights Day. The theme of the World Consumer Rights Day 2019 is “Trusted Smart Products”.
The theme aims to highlight what consumers want and need from a connected world and how important it is to put them at the heart of the development of these digital products and services.
Genesis of the World Consumer Rights Day
The genesis of the World Consumer Rights Day can be traced to the special message to the US Congress on 15th March 1962 by President John F Kennedy. The special message probably the first formal address about consumer rights by a World Leader. The first World Consumers Day was celebrated at 1983 and since then every year March 15 is celebrated as World Consumers Day.
World Consumers Day aims to highlight that rights of all consumers are respected and protected and to protest against market abuses and social injustices which undermine those rights.
Consumer Rights in India
The Consumer Protection Act 1986 gives 6 basic rights to the consumers:
- Right to choose the product.
- Right to be protected from all kind of hazardous goods.
- Right to be informed about the performance and quality of all products.
- Right to be heard in all decision-making processes related to consumer interests.
- Right to seek redressal, whenever consumer rights have been infringed.
- Right to complete consumer education.
March 15 is observed as World Consumer Rights Day to raise global awareness about consumer rights and needs.
Categories: Events & Observances